Many homeowners here in Cynthiana are looking to replace their worn-out windows with new windows that operate and perform better, are more durable, require considerably less maintenance and are more energy efficient than the wood, steel or aluminum windows that were used when their homes were built.
Most people look at new windows as an expense, they’re not. New windows are an investment in your home. An investment which, if made wisely, not only increases the value of your Cynthiana home, but at the same time, cuts your energy bills, increases your comfort and reduces maintenance cost. However, like any investment decision, you need to determine what gives you the greatest value, not necessarily the lowest price.
You need to educate yourself so you really understand what you are getting for your money. This is why it is important for a homeowner to work with someone they trust who walks them through the various options so they can make an educated buying decision.In most cases, style is already determined by the architecture of the house and the type of windows that are presently there. However, it is possible to change window styles, change opening sizes, add bays and bows, or do a variety of other things that will dramatically change the appearance of your home inside and out.
Since it represents the largest area of the window, glass obviously has the biggest impact on energy loss. Glass technology has made tremendous strides over the last few years. Things like low conductivity spacers, low emissivity, or Low-E, coatings and gas filling have drastically cut the amount of energy that flows through the glass.Low-E is an almost invisible metallic coating that works like a one-way mirror, reflecting heat back into your home during the winter and reflecting it out during the summer.
There are different types of Low-E coatings with different performance levels. Better performing coatings, like Titanium, cost a little more, but are well worth the money. Don’t settle for products made with regular clear glass that is not coated.Warranties are also very important. Be sure you understand them fully. Just because it says Lifetime don’t assume every component of the window and installation is covered forever. And remember, the warranty is only as good as the people who back it.
Replacement Windows – A Buyers Guide For Cynthiana Homeowners
In most of the newer homes single pane windows are not usually used but you will see them in older homes. Because of the price of the window, some homeowners still prefer to have them in their home even if they are not as energy efficient as double or triple pane windows. Repairing this window is not as time consuming and much simpler. If it has a crack, you may have to repair just that area instead of replacing the entire window. The one drawback with single paned windows is that they cannot provide the insulation quality many homeowners demand today.
Repair a single pane window
• Removing the window glass-to remove the window pane apply adhesive tape on the middle section or the border; It is done this way because to the glass out it will have to be broken out in order to replace it. Put the adhesive tape in place and gently break the window pane with the hammer so it will not shatter.
• Getting rid of the glazing compound-around the window there is a glazing compound. You can usually remove it with a chisel or the substance may just fall off on its own. Sometimes the compound will have a good grip and not come off on its own.
• Clean the frame-the frame, which is the rest of the unit, will have to be clean before the new glass window can be installed. Scrape any remains of the compound off the frame along with any other hindrance that could cause a problem during the installation of the new window.
• Installing the new glass-before you install the new glass make sure that you line the wooden frame with primer. If it is an aluminum frame, you will not have to put primer in the frame. The sheet of window glass you bought is generally larger than the one you are replacing. You will need to measure the width and length of the one window glass that is being replaced. Cut the new window glass making sure that it is one-eighth smaller so it will fit easily into the window frame
• Glazing and caulk compound application-apply a lining of call on the new window pane so there will be a type of bedding on the glass to be installed. The glazier points will have to be pressed through the window pane. If the window frame is aluminum based metal or just metal, you would use clips to hole the window glass in place. You also have to have some glazing compound between the window pane and glass.
Once the window glass is installed, clean the glass to remove any traces of the glazing compound or chalk.
Vinyl Windows And Your Home
One of the most important features of a home is the quality of the windows. Your windows are, of course, essential in the lighting of your home and also the view, but the windows you choose will also affect the energy efficiency and the noise level of your home. Today's standard for windows is typically double pane, which are made with two panes of glass. The space between the panes is filled with an inert gas like argon. This provides insulation against noise and as well as the transfer of heat or cold through the window.
Although double pane windows are an excellent choice, there are other options to consider as well. Recently another style of window has become popular. This style is called a triple pane window. Triple pane windows function similarly to double panes in that multiples panes sandwich a layer of space filled with an inert gas. However, triple pane adds another layer of protection.
These extra-efficient windows consist of three layers of glass. It begins with the outer pane of glass, a layer of gas, the second pane of glass, another layer of gas, and then the third pane of glass. This triple layer of protection makes the windows so efficient that energy loss in the home is incredibly minimal. Both types of windows are efficient, but triple pane windows are the most efficient that can be purchased. If you are considering installing new windows in your home, you may want to consider the added benefits of triple pane windows.